Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wynona Natural History Collection


Time is flying by really fast and cold weather is just around the corner; at least that is what the house flies think. I bet I have killed 100 house flies that have sought shelter in my trailer over the past two days. We have been overrun with specimens in the science lab. Students have been bringing in all manner of critters; garter snakes (Thamnophis sp.), Copperheads (Agkistrodon contortrix), praying mantis, tarantulas, oak borers, GIANT slugs! 18-20cm (total length), Golden Orb Spiders, and a multitude of arthropods I have not even begun to sort through yet. Mostly, we observe specimens for a day or two and the find a safe habitat outside of town to release them. Some animals and botanical specimens will become permanent residents in our small, but growing natural history collection. One specimen we are particularly proud of is the 1.09m long Timber Rattle Snake (Crotalus horridus) my neighbors brought me a couple of weeks ago. The snake had been run over, but was in excellent condition. We skinned the snake and preserved the hide.

No comments:

Post a Comment